Sunday 2 July 2017

Photography Backdrops on a Budget!

Hi guys

You may have noticed from my most recent posts that I've been using props and staging for my card photography.

For a while I wanted to purchase some photography backdrop boards but found them all very expensive....and I know absolutely nothing about photography so didn't want to spend too much on backboards if I couldn't bring out the best in them.  I take all my card photos on my mobile phone!

So, I ended up making my own...


Here's how I did them.

I was wondering around The Range (a UK home/garden/craft store, for my overseas friends who aren't familiar) as I often do as it's only a five minute drive from home, and was walking passed the DIY section when I saw some wood effect wallpaper.  So I stole ripped off some good amounts from the free sample rolls...you need a good amount to get the real effect on your wall, right?! :)

I then wandered around the art section looking for some kind of foam/mount board.  They did sell foam board in packs of two but these were only A3 size and quite expensive.  So I then stumbled across some mount board.  It was larger than I wanted but better to be too big than too small, eh.  And at 'Buy four boards for £10' it's rude not to!  It's 700gsm so nice and sturdy.  You can follow the link, here, for the details.

So I brought it all home and adhered the wallpaper to the boards...done!  As you can see I didn't quite steal acquire enough of the stone wall effect paper but it's still plenty big enough for it's purpose.  I have one more board to complete when I find some more paper that I think will work.  I might eventually cut these down slightly as they are quite bulky for the amount of space I have but at the moment I just slide them behind a cupboard for storage.

So in total these boards have cost me just £2.50 each!  And if I find more designs I can quite happily adhere them to the back of these instead of buying more boards....that will be £1.25 per board!

I love a bargain!!

Here's some examples of the boards in use:





I hope you found this useful if you are looking for something similar.  Apart from being a little on the large side, these certainly work for me!

11 comments:

  1. Inspired!! I like wandering around the Range so might just have to "borrow" some wallpaper samples! Thanks for sharing this idea ... I need to work on my photography so this might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of assistance, Elaine. Hopefully the buyers might think this type of wallpaper is all the rage and start stocking more! lol x

      Delete
  2. now this is absolutely FABULOUS!!! genius!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a good idea.I brought the expensive boards but will now make my own.Thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea, Anita! I have a vinyl floor tile that I use too and I've recently bought a linen placemat that I like also which is good for flat lay photography. I'll have to check out B&Qs wallpapers now! :) Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea ..... I used to 'borrow' wallpaper pieces and paint swatches but I never had any like these. Love the designs, and they're perfect for taking pictures against. I think I might just have to have a trip to our local DIY store. Thanks for sharing hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very clever....stealing the idea...hope you don't mind...will give you credit...Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So stinkin'clever! What an incredible idea. Love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an idea that I will be stealing oops sorry borrowing!lol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anita, what a great idea, I have my own version of the photo board too, two manila folders glue/taped down to one another on the larger side, a 12" piece of design paper cut to fit, which I tape down temporarily making sure the bottom lines up with the folder edge(just so I can change my mind for different papers), it can then prop itself open on the two open sides.... thanks for the idea of pinching some wall paper though, a brilliant idea I'll have to try out next time I hit our big local hardware center... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today. I would love for you to leave some feedback, your comments are always appreciated.

In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...