Sunday 9 November 2014

Starry, Starry Night

Hi guys

Well, this afternoon I've been masking and blending, followed by more masking and blending to create this little card for this week's challenge at Less is More.  The current challenge is to create a one layer card with the theme, 'Starry, starry night'.

When I recently attended the Stitching, Sewing and Hobbycraft Show I stood for ages watching the demonstrator at the Card-io stand, her creations were gorgeous.  I just had to buy a few of the stamp sets and I've combined a couple of them here on this card.  Also, I never realised you could blend with pigment inks (she was using Versa Color) so I've given it a go here.



I started by masking off a rectangle in the centre of my card base with post-it notes.  I then used some scrap paper and cut myself a landscape curve.  I used this to mask off the top section of the card and then blended the pigment inks, gradually building up the colour (at the show she was using a dry baby wipe to blend the colour but I just used some good quality kitchen towel wrapped around my finger).  You can only just make it out in the photo but next I used a pale blue ink with the mask to create some snow banks.  I then placed the masked back in position to stamp the trees, some of which were second generation stamping so they appeared to be further away, then the little cabin and the bushes (which are actually the top of a tree stamp).  I then peeled away the masks and stamped the sentiment.

I then wanted to add a star which I was originally going to do by using embossing powder but I didn't want to risk warping my card base (something which always happens to me!) so instead I squirted out a tiny bit of Tombow glue onto some scrap paper and smooshed it with my finger.  I then used my star stamp to pick up the glue, stamped this on my card and then added some fine glitter.  Some of the really fine bits of glitter decided they wanted to live in the sky elsewhere so I left them to add more sparkle.

Materials used:

  • Stamps: Card-io - Winter Walks, Christmas Scenery 2; Paula Pascual - Christmas Messages
  • Ink: Versa Color - Orange, Marigold, Imperial Blue, Neptune, Sky Blue; Versafine - Onyx Black
  • Glitter: Stampin' Up - Dazzling Diamonds

I am also going to link this card up at the following challenges:

One-Layer Simplicity - Challenge #11 - Home, Sweet Home (wouldn't you just love to live here at Christmas?)
Creative Card Crew - Challenge #74 - Christmas Joy
Crimbo Crackers - Challenge #69 - Clean and Simple
Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge - #202 - Keep it Flat


I love how this card turned out and I'll certainly be trying to create more scenes on my cards now that I know it's not that difficult after all!



49 comments:

  1. This is a stunning card - I love your blended sky.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous snowscape,beutifully put together Neet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous and you have used the perfect night sky colours in perfect proportions too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hannelie-perfection, fabulous masking and all so very subtle-a stunner of a card x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita,
    Your card caught my eye at LIM and I had to come and have a closer look - Wow! Amazing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great masking , stamping and sponging! I love the purple in the sky. Beautiful card! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing card, so atmospheric. Love the way you did the star, I hope I'll be able to remember this idea next time I want some sparkle. I hate the way embossing can warp the card.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Neet this is stunning, you've created a wonderful scene. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Wow and more wow Anita! You are rockin!
    Who needs distress inks when you can create such beauty without.
    This is fabulous and thanks so much for joining the challenge with it.
    Well done.
    Sarah xx
    Less is more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card, your masking and shading is superb and the scene you've created is gorgeous, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card. Perfect amount of sparkle.

    Thank you for joining us at Creative Card Crew.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  12. CAS and very beautiful. Love your sky, the colours are amazing.
    You make this sound so easy, maybe I should get my versa colours out and have a go.
    Love Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful card. Just the right amount of blending. So eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful card. The masking and blending looks wonderful

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clever way to add your star, I have that problem when I emboss one layer cards too Anita!
    What a gorgeous scene, love this card!
    Thanks so much for your LIM entry
    Anne
    Less is More Designer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully created snowy hillside - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is spectacular and it is one layer. A gorgeous card Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful job with the masking and blending Anita! Love those colours together! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa...this is stunning! Love your sky, Anita! Gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you have created your scene. Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely amazing!! Such a delicate scene with so much detail. CAS perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous! An absolute stunner! Love the adding glitter technique you shared too, will be giving that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning card. I saw the same demonstration but missed the inks that the demonstrator coloured in with. I had a play with my stamps on Sunday but havent come up with anything as wonderful as your card. Thanks for explaining how you created this. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! Love the sunrise and the hills! So glad you joined us at OLS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW Neets, this is simply awesome!What a beautiful scene, fabulous inking. masking and stamping!
    Love it!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this!!! The winter scene looks so peaceful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just love your stunning card. I've seen Card-io demonstrations too and have even got some stamps, just have not had time to play yet. Your beautiful card might just be the inspiration I need to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Anita what a pretty little scene you created here, love how you did the blending too...just gorgeous ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a stunning winter Scene! Love the colours of heaven! This is so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the winter scene you created Anita! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is an awesome stamped landscape. Love the color in the sky. Love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazingly beautiful scene! Your sponging and masking is perfection! And I love the glitter on the sky. Thanks so much for sharing this at One-Layer Simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such an amazing winter landscape you created Anita! Your blending and sponging are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great card, I love the masking, the scene you've created, the sponging... everything!!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anita, what a light and balanced card, so simple and elegant! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on the well-deserved Showcase at LIM, Anita!! This is such a fantastic window-view looking out onto a magical winter wonderland!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  37. congrats on your win at LIM-I knew this was a winner x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing card Anita, a well desrved selection at LiM xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. ditto... all the previous comments are perfect. Youre scene is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your story how you stood in line watching the demo for a similar card, well it paid off, cause this card is "drop-dead" gorgeous, I absolutely love it, fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stunning card! Thank you for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today. I would love for you to leave some feedback, your comments are always appreciated.

In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...